Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, September 28, 2014

A PERFECT MOMENT

  It’s August 11. Heidi and I are camping at Sturgeon Bay Provincial Park and it’s 8:30 Monday morning. I've just gotten up and I am inspired to write this:
  I’m sitting in my chair. The duct tape I've used to wrap the torn seat is a bit damp but that’s to be expected after the night's dew. The smoke of a neighbour's fire wafts to me on a light breeze and my senses are awakened. I realize that the breeze is the perfect temperature. It has the right mix of coolness and warmth and caresses my exposed legs and arms before moving on. The coffee I drink tastes great and the book I am reading stirs my imagination. As I look around, my eyes are drawn to the mosaic of sunspots on the ground in front of me from the sun rising beyond the maple, birch and beech trees to my right. Kids are somewhere behind me calling to each other in a tone of eagerness and contentment. Two women walk by engaged in conversation. Then I realize this is a perfect moment, a gift of God that raises thankfulness in my heart and I voice it out loud, “Thank you God for this moment. I am so glad that I’m here. Thank you, thank you.”
  Have you ever had a perfect moment? Where it seems that everything is just right and time stands still for a few seconds? I love those moments. They are rare, to be sure. After that moment at camping I thought about it for a while. What I (we) need to do is look for the goodness in the hard moments. God is in those just as much as the perfect ones. That’s the challenge, look for His face when life is in yours. Remember, he will never leave you or forsake you (Deut 31:8). He really is in every one.
- Gary

Comments